The liver is the biggest glandular organ of the body that weighs about three pounds. Liver has four lobes of unequal size and shape and is reddish brown in colour.
|Liver showing its four lobes.|
The liver has many functions.
- Produce substances that break down fats
- Produce urea, the main substance of the urine
- Filter harmful substances from the blood like alcohol
- Storage of Vitamins A,D, K and B12 and minerals
- Maintain a proper level of glucose in the blood
- Convert glucose to glycogen
- Responsible in producing 80% of cholesterol in the body
- Make a distinct amino acids which is the building blocks of proteins
|Big Liver Tumor|
Disease of the liver
Several diseases/conditions can affect the liver.
- Wilson’s Disease
- Hepatitis, inflammation of the liver.
- Liver Cancer
- Cirrhosis, a chronic inflammation of the liver that can lead to ultimate organ failure.
Here are few tips that can be very useful in taking care of your liver.
- Start your day by drinking one cup of warm water with a slice of lemon.
- Drink green tea for it has catechins that guard the liver.
- Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables and other green foods like spinach and seaweed.
- Eat oily fish. It has essential fatty acids that are also good for the liver.
- Take Lecithin supplements. They help remove fat from the liver and it also lowers cholesterol.
- Consider eating raw foods and vegetable juices like carrots and beetroot.
- Alcohol changes the metabolism of the liver, which can have overall harmful effects if alcohol is taken over long periods of time so drink moderately.
Copyright ©2011 lencilicious/reallady